Do you live in the Pacific Northwest? Have you ever dined on the King Mahalo Sandwich at Coconut Kenny’s? No? Then you are not experiencing everything that the PNW has to offer. It is literally the world’s best sandwich. But I have good news. You can make this fabulous item right in your very own kitchen, and it comes mighty close to being every bit as mouth-wateringly delicious as Coconut Kenny’s original.
First, to give credit where credit is due. I started with this recipe and then made a number of adjustments. My version, which is closer to Coconut Kenny’s, is below. (I used a gluten free bagel for mine, but I am sure Andrew’s was tastier on a hot dog bun.) I also didn’t measure anything, but below is approximately what I did. Note: omit the chipotle pepper if you don’t like spicy!
2 cups cooked chicken, shredded (thighs will be the moistest)
1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, diced
3/4 cup barbecue sauce
1/3 cup diced red onion
1/2 cup crushed pineapple
A bunch of fresh cilantro
Sliced cheddar cheese (enough to cover each sandwich)
6 hot dog buns
1. Mix chicken, pepper, and barbecue sauce in a small saucepan and stir over low heat until warm.
2. Mix in red onion and crushed pineapple. Leave warming on the stove.
3. Spread mayonnaise on hot dog buns and broil until toasted.
4. Add cheddar cheese slices to one or both sides of the buns and broil until melted.
5. Spread chicken mixture onto sandwich.
6. Top with fresh cilantro and enjoy!