In honor of one full year of on-site apartment managing, here’s a humorous letter summing up some of the fun we’ve had on the job…
1. I bet you secretly know how to unplug your toilet, but here’s an instructional YouTube just in case.
2. Never, ever try to open the door to my apartment. If you’re knocking and I’m not answering, there’s a reason!
3. I know it’s difficult to understand, but you can’t let your guests park in another tenant’s parking spot. But no worries, because I love spending my evening playing detective to identify the unauthorized vehicle’s driver.
4. I’ll have to ask our supervisor about installing a bigger toilet and adding bars in the windows. Let me get back to you.
5. If you’re applying to rent here, giving me your financial life story won’t increase your chances of being accepted. I’m not even the one who makes the decision, so let’s just both save a little time, shall we?
6. Please wait to make out with your boyfriend until I am finished inspecting your apartment. Thanks SO VERY MUCH.
7. I cannot legally tell you how many children live in our complex, no matter how many different ways you ask me.
8. If you’re residing here illegally, don’t even bother trying to hide from me in the laundry room. Dude, I will find you.
9. If you bring your wife on a tour here, don’t argue about whether the apartment is too small in front of me. That’s just awkward for everyone.
10. It might seem like lying about your credit will work when we are about to run your credit, but just trust me on this one.
11. It’s cute that you assume your apartment manager has nothing better to do than break down all your cardboard boxes. Really cute.
12. Writing February 1, 2015 on a check that you turned in on February 6, 2015 is still going to incur a late fee, but I respect the creativity.
13. No, we do not rent out parking spots if you are not renting an apartment from us. We are apartment managers, not parking spot managers.
14. I don’t know how long it takes to drive from here to the random place you work that I’ve never heard of, but I will be nice and get out my phone to check while you text your friend.
15. If you drag your Christmas tree through the hallways (in February) I’ll trace the needles back to your door just so I know who I’m cleaning up after.
16. And on that note, I’m glad you never thank me when you walk by me vacuuming your dirt in the halls. It’s my job, no acknowledgement necessary. I’m just happy to be here.
17. Contrary to popular public opinion, buzzing our door multiple times while simultaneously calling our phone will not make us answer faster.
18. For the last time. Yes, a cat is a pet.
Your Hard-Working Apartment Manager