By now, I hope you’ve become aware of the extensive footage released so far, depicting Planned Parenthood’s barbaric practices, specifically the sale of baby body parts and intact aborted baby cadavers for profit. I trust you haven’t bought Planned Parenthood’s pathetic attempts to discredit the footage. The gruesome details released, both in the form of graphic conversation and graphic footage, has nauseated me plenty of times over the past weeks since the movies surfaced.
In the coming months, I’d like to continue posting about this issue, so for now I’d just like to make two simple points to “begin the conversation” and offer some practical ways to get involved.
Turning a Blind Eye
I confess that I have been turning a blind eye to the horrific abortion industry for my whole life. I’ve financially supported a pregnancy clinic once in awhile, Walked for Life, and prayed at the Life Chain, and that’s exactly where my defense of the defenseless ends. I am ashamed of my apathy. I’d like to be clear that it is not the fact that Planned Parenthood is selling their aborted babies that has suddenly filled me with what I believe is righteous indignation; rather, God has used these videos to shake me. Babies are being murdered in cold blood, every day, right in my city, and on top of that, they are being sold. I am compelled to be a part of abolishing abortion and protecting life.
I believe that burying our heads in the sand and ignoring what’s going on with Planned Parenthood (and other abortion clinics) is selfish and cowardly. It’s what I’ve been doing for years, but suddenly I can see in living (dead) color the horror that is abortion and I will no longer turn a blind eye. I understand that the videos are brutally graphic and might bring on nightmares; but in my case, having my stomach churn at the site of dead baby organs is what was needed for my wakeup call. So if you’ve been avoiding the movies and articles, and you’re simultaneously doing nothing to oppose abortion and stand up for life, maybe it’s time to sit down and take an honest look at what’s happening.
Planned Parenthood is Evil, Not Good
Planned Parenthood should not be receiving even one bit of support or defense from anyone with any sense of morality. The fact that they provide free HIV testing and contraceptives (which some PP clinics significantly profit from anyway) is a pathetic reason to defend them. If you knew of a group of people that were slaughtering 2-year-olds by dismemberment, but served free lunch to the homeless every day, would you call that group “good”? Planned Parenthood is slaughtering unborn babies that feel pain and are every bit as human as 2-year-olds. So we really shouldn’t even take into consideration anything “good” that they’re doing. It’s 100% irrelevant.
What Can You Do?
- Pray, pray, pray. When you think of this situation, pray. When you see another article on Facebook, pray. When you spot a pro-choice bumper sticker, pray.
- Raise awareness. Stay informed and share credible articles about this crucial issue on social media. Talk about it with your friends. The mainstream media is downplaying or ignoring it, so it’s up to us to keep spreading the truth about abortion. A social media war has erupted in response to these videos, and we need to participate.
- Support your local pregnancy clinic, financially and/or with your time. There are many needs and ways to get involved.
- Find a way to mentor a single mom or parents who really weren’t ready for the responsibility. Help these needy people who have bravely chosen to protect life!
- Teach your children about the sanctity of human life and God’s incredible design that begins at conception. Ensure that these important values are being passed down to the next generation.
- Join public rallies, walks, or respectful protests. Look into 40 Days for Life, the Life Chain, or find out what events your local crisis pregnancy clinic recommends.
- Share the gospel with the unbelievers in your life. Not only should we desire that they be saved, but a regenerated heart can go from being staunchly pro-choice, to seeing human life through a biblical lens.
- Consider adoption or support others who are adopting. Mothers who choose life often are unable to care for their babies, which means that adoptive parents are needed!
- Get behind politicians who are defending the unborn. Vote for them and pray for them. Sign petitions and/or call your state representatives/senators/governor when a bill pertaining to abortion is being introduced.
Hopefully there’s more to come, but these are just a few initial thoughts. God is using very sad news to stir me to action, and I hope He’s doing the same in you!
For You formed my inward parts; You wove me in my mother’s womb. I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Wonderful are Your works, And my soul knows it very well. My frame was not hidden from You, When I was made in secret, And skillfully wrought in the depths of the earth; Your eyes have seen my unformed substance; And in Your book were all written The days that were ordained for me, When as yet there was not one of them. (Psalm 139:13-16)