Life is going so quickly right now and I wish I could keep up with writing down all your dear little antics. You are an absolute joy and thrill to our hearts. We could not imagine a more lovable, feisty, energetic, silly, affectionate, relational 20-month-old than the one God has given us. Every day with you is a new adventure and I am just smitten with the little person you are becoming.
I realized the other day, as I was cooking and you were busy pulling dishes out of your cupboard, that somehow, wherever I am, you end up there and find something to keep you happy. If I am in the bedroom putting away laundry, you’ll be in the corner playing with Daddy’s reading light. If I am in the living room sending apartment emails, you will be at your book basket reading. If I am in the bathroom getting ready for the day, you will be at the counter, seeing what you can reach and asking to put on deodorant. If I am in your room picking up, you will be pounding your workbench. It doesn’t matter where I go…you are my shadow and you follow me and stay busy next to me. I know it won’t be like this for long, and I treasure those moments of noticing your constant presence and your desire to be where Mommy is.
We love so many quirks about you.
– your crowd cheer
– the way you run and jump onto the bed when Mommy’s making it
– your infatuation with clocks and smoke alarms
– the way you call stars “tinkle stars” and then start signing “tinkle, tinkle little star”
– your noise and hand motion for an elephant
– the way you still sign “bath” when saying it
– your love for playing Hop on Pop
– the way you ask, “shoulders?” when you see Daddy leaving for work
– how you’ve started adding “too” to words for emphasis… “too hot,” “too big,” etc.
– your passion for books. Right now your favorites are Lentil and Bread and Jam for Frances.
– the way you point out “Mommy’s oo-ee (smoothie), Cabub’s oo-ee”. You’re very intent on whose is what, and refer to yourself in the third person.
– your love for nursery
– the way you pull our faces in and give us kisses right on the lips
– your giggles as you run to get in between Daddy and Mommy’s hugs
– when you say “more neck” so I’ll keep kissing under your double chin
– your obsession with “blankie” and “other blankie” for naps and bedtime
– your love for puzzles
– how you chatter about everything you’re reading during blanket time
– the way you say “oh-gurt” (yogurt) and “pagetti”
– when you’re so excited about something, you say “oooooh, yeaaaaah!”
– your passion for all kinds of balls – beach balls, basketballs, footballs, tennis balls, etc…and your acute awareness of the difference between them
– when you say “happy” as we reach the shopping cart, because you’re going to have a happy heart when Mommy puts you in
– your excitement over time with Lukas and Emma
– your enormous appetite
– the way you ask for “eck-fast” each morning and sometimes after naps
– your hugs and kisses and “awwwwws” for baby Seggie
– your crazy dance moves and amazing sense of rhythm
– how you set your jaw when you are concentrating on something
We love you, sweet Monkey! You are going to be a wonderful big brother and we are so excited to watch you grow and learn. If I could freeze time, I would, yet I know that you will continue to delight us as you get older. We pray that God lays hold of your heart from a young age and that you follow Him with all that you are.